Yet another bid for help..

February 27th, 2013 by Rebekka in Uncategorized

In 2011 my boyfriend Óli and I (see above) embarked on a journey  in his Land Rover Defender, accompanied by our dog:

to make photo book.  The idea, to make a long story short, was to travel around Iceland, to each location mentioned in the weather forecast on the radio,  and photograph me in the surrounding landscape, wearing a long dress, to illustrate what the weather was like in each spot.

It was often very bad indeed. And so, so cold..

What I found particularly exciting about the idea, was to illustrate what these places looked like, as most people in Iceland (let alone foreigners) have only seen a handful of thees places, if any.
We got very far with the project in 2011, making 4 trips and photographing about 40 locations out of 62.  We worked from april to October, and this hiking tent was our home away from home, even in those colder months:

(and by cold I mean freezing, as in "less than 0°C" )

Our swift progress in 2011 was largely due to the fact that over 120 people were kind enough to donate funds toward the project.  To them I will always be hugely grateful.  Then 2012 rolled around.  I went back to school (to study the more technical aspects of photography),
and was drowning in assignments until the end of november. The summer was spent repairing a leak in the ceiling, hanging drywall, repainting,  and building a shed to have some extra room to store stuff (we live in a tiny 2-bedroom apartment with my two teenagers).

To make matters worse, Óli smashed his hand between a steel door and its frame during a storm at sea in february (he works as a fisherman and is away 80% of the time) He couldn’t drive for 2 months, let alone operate a camera.  All in all we only managed to visit 3 more locations that whole year.  Pretty lame.  Anyway,  I applied for a grant from the Icelandic art funding committee (i’ve no idea if it’s called that in english, but that describes what it does) in order to be able to afford to continue working on this in 2013. (Most of the spots left can only be reached by boat or helicopter, which is going to be even more expensive than travelling by truck).  I was turned down, which saddened me greatly, as the project seemed pretty worthwhile and is already so close to completion.  Nevertheless, I’ve been busy in my spare time putting together what we have so far.  Here’s a screenshot from the program I’m using to assemble the book:
(Click on it to see it a bit larger)

Here’s a closer look at one of the spreads:

As you can see from this spread, the left-hand pages will contain text about each location, maybe a little anecdote if something humorous happened during the shoot, and a small map of Iceland showing where each picture is taken. At the back will be a bunch of behind-the-scenes pictures. It’s gonna be a pretty cool book.

So,  If you’d like to help out,  that would be awesome.  15$ or more works as a pre-order for a PDF of the book once it’s done.   Your name and email will be added to the growing list of people already waiting for theirs.
Here’s a handy button that takes you to paypal:

(The book will of course be available in print as well, but as of yet I have no idea how it’ll be priced)

Hello Rebekka, great to know how your projekt goes and how you make it happen. I´m a big fan of your work, how you overlay your imagination (by contructing images) with Iceland itself (the sceneries) and yourself.
All the best, Eduardo
From Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. We acctualy met once and talked a bit, don´t know if you remember this.

Bob Dietel wrote on February 27th, 2013

gentle rebekka, hang in there–and finish this splendid project!
blessings and peace,
— bob +

Tell Óli to take it easy out there!

Hi Rebekka!
I would really like to help out, but probably will only be able to do so by the end of March. I hope this isn’t going to be too late, it’s a great project!
Do you already know where you will publish the book (self-publishing or publishing house)?
Cheers, and hang in there!
Anke

awesome project!

$$$ on your way :)

I’m also getting a copy of your “THE ICELANDIC HORSE”! (the PDF version for now) :)

Thanks so much :)

Done! Good luck completing the book. Can’t wait to see it.
R
x

Rebekka, do you have a specific amount you want to collect?

I have no specific amount in mind. Every little bit helps :)
I think I can safely estimate though, that expenses for the rest of our travels to complete the book will be somewhere between 3.000$ and 5.000$. That’s fuel, chartering boats, food, paying for accomodations if the weather makes camping impossible.
One way or another, we’ll get this done. The book simply needs to be completed, it’s coming along so great :)

Rebekka, I’ve been a huge fan of yours for many years now and I would love to help. I am wondering though if you considered Kickstarter for this, it looks like a great project that people could be drawn to.

Per Walderhaug (pewald) wrote on February 28th, 2013

A couple of $ on its way, good luck!

Do you still do the $50 gives you 5 5×7 prints?

Love your motivation and drive for this project Rebekka! You’ve been an inspiration to me for a long time. I’m heading to Iceland in April and will kick over some money to help you out for sure! I’d love to hear more about the project if you’re ever free in April for coffee or a photo outing!

best of luck, keep kicking butt!

Irina: I did originally plan to use Kickstarter. However, one needs to have an american bank account in order to use that. Others mentioned Indigogo, but to be honest, this simple method has worked far better than I imagined possible.

Toby: No, I ended up having to spend so much on paper, ink and mailing that I decided this time to just stick to the PDF offer.

Art: Thanks. Send me a line in April when you’re here. I might be away travelling, but I can’t say for sure now.

Rebekka, I have been a fan of your gorgeous work for years and if my small donation helps you as an artist then I am happy to donate. You have helped me pursue my dreams, it’s the least I can do for you.

Blessings

Jan

Rebekka,

I was introduced to your work via friend on Flickr. You have an amazing talent that we all appreciate and look forward to seeing more of. Please accept my contribution along with the encouragement to continue creating memories.

Rich
Houston, Texas, USA

How about a certain amount and then we get a copy of the book? I have participated in two Kickstarter projects where I paid a certain amount and then got the product that was being developed. Do you do that?

Alessandro wrote on March 1st, 2013

Rebekka,

I think your creativity and your “visions” would deserve much more than the small amount each of your followers can donate. In any case, I hope every single dollar will help you with your project (which, by the way, looks so great so far!).

Alessandro
Trento, Italy

Rebekka, money on its way. Good luck and I wish it is useful. I learn a lot with your photos, it is just fair to pay you back some of this joy.

Thanks for you all your art.

Jorge

“last bid” makes it sound so dramatic – I must have missed the first and second one :-)

Some euros and greetings from South Hassia

You’re right.. “Yet another” would be less dramatic ;)

Hi Rebekka,

I’ve donated – a rather symbolic sum at this moment, however, I’ve been planning for a while to actually buy one of you prints.
So after my next payday I’ll try to do just that :) Would money from that also go to you / help you on your project?

Cheers and good luck with your project – to the most wonderful photographer, I’ve had the luck to “meet” through his/her images.

Z.

Irina wrote on March 2nd, 2013

Rebekka, thank you for your answer. I understand the reticence and hope you will be able to meet your goal to finish what you started this way. I donated and I will get another copy of your Horses book, I hope it will help as well. And just like others, I did not know of the first two pleas. Last but not least, if you ever decide to put the book on Blurb, I will also be happy to buy a printed copy. Good luck with everything!

Rebekka,

I hope this little bit helps.
Love your work, and can’t wait to see the finished project.

Cheers

Karyn wrote on March 2nd, 2013

Funy, I just came across the prints you sent after I donated last year and thought what a shame it is that I haven’t framed and hung them yet. Nothing seems suitable enough for them! I was wondering what was going on with the book, so thank you for the update. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Mitch R wrote on March 3rd, 2013

Rebekka,

Don’t worry about ‘swallowing your pride’. You’re doing great work that inspires many of us. We’re only too happy to lend a hand in whatever way we can. :)

A small sum well-spent. Hopefully more to follow.

Curt Saunier wrote on March 4th, 2013

A small sum to be a part of such a creative project! Happy to have the opportunity to help out. Your work is fantastic!

Well, hell, since I can’t ever get off my arse and actually do something like this myself, the next best thing is maybe to help out by proxy. Good luck!

Chuck Nevaranta wrote on March 4th, 2013

Rebekka…best wishes on your project….you are a most beautiful…talented and creative artist…with a vision that many aspire to…but few have…..I consider it an honor to be able to help out in some small way…..

All the best for your project. I’m sending a small donation. Keep up the good work and don’t be discouraged by the ups and downs of life.

Valeria wrote on March 6th, 2013

Keep up the great work – I loved your blog when I found it, and would love to continue reading about your photography, you are so inspiring! Sending small donation, good luck!

dear Rebekka, I’m so proud to help you in that great project.Iceland seems so mysterious for us.
Best regards from France.

Etienne wrote on March 20th, 2013

Dear Rebekka,

Amanda Palmer has an excellent TED talk on asking – exactly what you are doing here. I think it would help you a lot with the gesture. Good luck and a few coins to you, I’m looking forward to a PDF coming my way.

Regards, from Canada

Eef Weetjens wrote on March 27th, 2013

Love your work and sincerely hope you can finish this project.
Kind regards from Belgium.

I’ve followed you on Flickr forever. Hope this helps. Good luck from Taos, NM!

Spaddy wrote on March 27th, 2013

Hey. Just wondering if you have thought of using kickstarter to help fund this project. It might be a great way to get the project funded.

@Spaddy: As already pointed out, it is not possible to use kickstarter without an American bank account. Which applies to many many many many people outside the US, you know. Otherwise it would be great indeed, but unfortunately it is not open for everyone, neither to raise money nor to support worthy projects.

Hello Rebekka,

I support this great project as I find the idea just excellent. I know from my islandic friends that most of them do not have any idea of what most of Island looks like :-) This idea of travelling from place to place sounds excellent !
Good luck !
Bless,

Olivier

Craig Hewson wrote on March 27th, 2013

Good luck with your project, I have been following your work for sometime and I am enjoying you sharing stunning scenes from your lovely country.
cheers
Craig

Hope my little bit helps. You must see this through!

hi Rebekka! i’ve just given a modest contribution to yr endeavour! it’s my way to show i’ve been appreciating yr work since the beginnings and hope it to improve even more!
kisses
Ileana

Morten Skogly wrote on April 19th, 2013

I find it curious that your back is turned to the camera in most (all?) of the shots. What is the idea behind that?

Morten: The reason my face isn’t shown in any of the images, is simply because this isn’t about “me”. I’m just a prop in each photo, helping to illustrate how windy it is (thus perhaps giving the viewer insight into how it would feel to be standing there instead of me).

Albatross wrote on June 24th, 2013

Did you close your 500px account? I like their presentation style and I thought I saw some of your photos on there but now I cannot find you. Best regards either way, I love your photography.

Siggi wrote on July 21st, 2013

Rebekka, in answer to your query regarding a comparable term for “art funding committee”, in the USA we call refer to it as a “grant”. And what one does in hope of acquiring such governmental, or non-governmental private, support is to draft a “grant proposal”; specifically describing/outlining the nature and/or purpose of your project and, perhaps most importantly, why you should be considered over other candidates.

Not all grants are monetary or exclusively material, either. Quite the contrary. They may be well be small stipends — to help with expenses, such as food and tools — while you are being provided with studio/work space, or education, by a sponsoring organization. (I’d eat shit and love it, if a sponsor would put me up in a Paris studio for a few months.)

Look into businesses, organizations, even so-called Scandinavian societies and clubs abroad. You just might interest an airline, an international brand, or even — don’t laugh — an ex-patriot community interested in acquiring images of the “old country” to adorn an office or calendar. [ugh!]

If I’ve come-off as “talking down” to you or stated the obvious, it wasn’t my intention. I just like to be thorough when responding, perhaps to the point of over-kill. I’d say, “so sue me” — but that’s no way to get money for the project.

Carsten wrote on August 12th, 2013

Rebekka,
I just love your photos and the moods they capture.
Every little helps, so there’s a small donation on it’s way.
Looking forward to receiving a pdf file.

One day I hope to float ‘Dorothy’ the Land Rover over to your beautiful shores and to take on a similar adventure. Perhaps with an Asgeir soundtrack.

Hi there, all is going nicely here and ofcourse every one is sharing information, that’s truly fine, keep up writing.

I got this website from my friend who informed me concernig this
website aand now this time I am browsing this web page and reading very
informative posts here.